Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cars and Trucks in Rockland

Rockland with J and my new Moleskine watercolor book, waterpens & a small paint box instead of my usual colored pencils.  Dinner at the Park Street Grill, a walk along the harbor, and music at Rock City Café, which is also a 2nd hand bookshop and a bar by night.  The music was hard to hear, so we wandered into the bookshop. I found an out of print copy of Danny Gregory's Everyday Matters, his memoir of the changes in his life after his wife became paralyzed and of his discovery of seeing/drawing.

On Sunday, the ideal spring weather day, I sat on the old fashioned veranda of the Limerock Inn reading his book. I had encountered some of Gregory's themes years before through The Zen of Seeing and other books of Frederick Franck.  A timely reminder: I am happy when sketching, whether I keep or share the drawings or not.
A group of giant construction trucks (on holiday) were plunked in the middle of a road. In a practical sense, they were a nuisance, visually they were, for me, adorable.  I never drew trucks, I never even noticed trucks until I worked with young children who loved Diggers and Dumpers. To me they still seem like GIANT TOYS. I got lost in trying to record the proportions and perspectives of the "BOMAC" roller above. Nevertheless, I  got to see it more clearly than if I were  just "whipping by", in Gredory's words. I wonder how I'd like driving the big old BOMAC. Ironically, J was at a nearby car show. Had I gone, I would have had lots of opportunities to sketch vehicles!


1 comment:

  1. What fun - people and vehicles. Great practice with both. Sounds like you did indeed have fun and thats what is most important after all. Right?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!