Friday, July 26, 2019

Going Sketching with a Visitor from France

I went sketching with a high school art student 
from France who visited me with her U.S. host family.
Lisa, the talented and artistic owner of Brambles, 
welcomed us to sketch in her front "garden"
of ornaments, potted herbs & flowers 
such as lavender & verbena.

The steady buzzing of bumble bees  in roses 
& floral scents kept me company as I sketched.
My friend sketched nearby.


This is something that I enjoy when sketching with others:
You are together, but separate while drawing.
Then there is time for sharing.

There is a park a few steps down from Brambles, 
next to the Harbor. 
With benches, shade & boats,
it's perfect for sketching. 
While there. a windjammer, rowers, sailboats,
& my least favorite, a smelly diesel boat, came & went.



Sketching in front of well known photographer Neal Parent's Gallery, 
right in the middle of downtown, 
attracted friendly passersby.
Some even stopped to speak to my friend in French.
A city councilor, one of the early Back to the Landers 
who became entrepreneurs in Belfast in the 70's, 
stopped to tell us that he had formerly had a café 
where Neal's Gallery is today. 

Another great thing about sketching:  If you stay in one spot long enough,
you often learn more about the place.


At the toy store across the street, Scott Canon,
local educator, musician & mime
sang a little English language song with his uke,
to my French friend, who is here to leanr English.



There is not a moment, not in any season, that I don't appreciate my little town. 
Visitors & sketching add so much to my enjoyment.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful sketches!!! So much fun sketching with friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun was that!!! I also love Belfast and never want to leave midcoast Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you and your town.I feel the same way.And so tue re together yet seperate:)Lovely work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to think of you outside, in town, sketching w/others, as people wander by. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely sketching outing with lovely results, as always!!! I envy you having such great passion for your art!! Charming about Scot serenading your French visitor outside the toy store!! Where else, but Belfast city of my heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Brambles looks like a wonderful place to sketch and explore, and what a gorgeous day it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Rita - I so enjoyed your post and your lovely sketches. It sounds like you live a a wonderful place. I am sure your friend felt very welcome too. Hope your summer is going well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty town and garden! Love your sketch too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!