Monday, May 25, 2020

"I Am Not a Quilter"...


I took out my old fabric scraps & sewing machine!
They'd been in a closet for 8 years.

A well meaning friend, who saw my frustration with
stitching, taking out stitches,
stitching, taking out stitches,
stitching, taking out stitches,
swear, swear, swear,
suggested, "Maybe you are just not a quilter."

I am also not a dancer.
 I am slower at learning moves
than other people. 
Quilting & Zumba dance have cognitive steps
that are hard for my type of brain.
But they also offer me a flow of movement
and joyful expression. I love them!

(I am also not a writer, 
it takes me a long time...
And yet, I love it too.)

A saying on my bulletin board:
"The harder you work for something,
The greater you'll feel when you achieve it."

So why am I sewing?

• I love going from chaos to order.
• I love spending hours with the fabrics, 
touching them, 
arranging & re-arranging them.
• Soaking in 
the colors, the colors, the colors!
• By experiencing the process,
I see & understand 
others' quilts with more depth.

I love the tools. 
Recently I even bought a few new ones 
at our local sewing/art shop, 
Fiddleheads, curbside.

I love the way sewing connects me with my dear mother,
who helped me to learn to sew.
And who loved sewing clothes for me.
And with my peer group women friends.
And with the memories of my jr. high girl friends 
when we were first learning to sew. 
It was a happy time of camaraderie in Home Arts classes.

Do schools still teach Home Arts?

I love that I can sew gifts for friends. 
The above "hot pad", 
with my first time using interfacing,
was a gift to a friend using colors I know she loves.
I have even made some masks for friends,
in "their colors".

This staying home time has given me
the gift of Home Arts.
And the gift of time to be as slow 
as I need to be.

9 comments:

  1. I am excited that you are not deterred and are creating fabric beauty with your sense of cokor.
    I honestly think bah humbug to the "you can't sing etc.."
    I was told that when I tried out for choir..
    Never sang again.
    Tried squash..you have a depth perception problem..
    ok then no squash..
    the list goes on.

    HAVE FUN.
    :( Who knows what could have happened/;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your quilt, your writing and your artwork!! Go for it -- and enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita I am sure you will be quite successful with quilting. I am like you it had been quite some time since I dug out my sewing machine. Did it last month when I made masks for family. Had to even get out the book for the machine to figure out how to thread it :)! This is from someone who used to sew most of her own clothes. I love the blue fabrics you chose. Hope you will share updates on this project. Thank you too for such lovely comments on my post. Take care and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to honor the gifts that this at-home time has given us. Your color sense is just wonderful and I loved the hot mat you made. I have never sewn anything since I destroyed a shift I made in 7th grade home ec. So, I say well done! I really love that you kept at it -- and look what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, you bring such color and beauty into the world. . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recent attempts at making a fabric face mask reminded me why I quit sewing ;) I hope you continue to enjoy your revived Home Arts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There really is nothing like colorful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AM a quilter, but have never thought of myself as an artist. I picked up a paintbrush for the first time in January of this year. Finding your blog and paintings was terrific. You have inspired me with your unique style, and I shamefully tried to copy you! I think I'm finding my own way now. BTW, I sewed 57 masks for family, friends and neighbors (all those quilt scraps!) - it really cut into my painting time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely vibrant colors!! Maybe you're not a quilter as your friend suggested, but you sure are not a quitter!! Perseverance pays off...practice makes progress!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!