Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Sight of the Stars

"For my part, I know nothing with any certainty.
But the sight of the stars makes me dream."
~Vincent Van Gogh

Last night I dreamed I was looking up at the stars 
 & remembering how I loved to do that in the past. 
These days I dream,
but I forget to go out to look at the sight of the stars.

From the Walking Bridge, these days, 
I watch loons, ducks, gulls, cormorants & seals. 
The Walking Bridge which goes over the Passy River 
where it runs into Belfast Harbor 
and then to Penobscot Bay 
 which opens out to the open sea.

From the Walking Bridge these early evenings, 
I am treated to the sight of curtains of rain 
falling from violet-gray dense clouds
10 miles out across the Bay, 
over the Castine Peninsula 
& beyond that Blue Hill.

Up close along the path to the Walking Bridge 
I am treated to sweet ferns dancing, 
inviting me to touch them
with their natural perfume.
These days wild flowers are shrivelling 
& displaying seeds with white feathery wings. 

These days, through the car windows 
on Maine road trips, 
I am treated to the sight of rolling hills 
& gold toned meadows,
distant hills, & apples sparkling on trees. 

I want last night's dream to come true,
to enjoy the these early autumn nights, 
as well as these amazing days.

9 comments:

  1. I think we share a similar heart. I often forget to dream...Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. I'm glad you're taking the time to enjoy the season, and the dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On dark, starry nights I search for Mom and Dad in the Milky Way. Is that strange?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! You are seeing "stars" with every gaze you make on your road trips. Your stars are the rolling hills,the ferns, the wildflowers, and more -- they are all stars of nature -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your poetic tribute to this particular time and aura . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. Tonight, I'm going to look up at the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sparkling stars and thank you for sharing your lovely thoughts about autumn encounters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was driving past that walking bridge on my last vacation in Maine. Now I wish I had walked it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!