Wednesday, May 15, 2019

La Tour Eiffel • Bon anniversaire! (edited re-post)


 

Above: I turned a corner in the 7th arrondissemnt
and caught my first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower.


Today Paris is celebrating the 130th birthday 
of the Eiffel Tower!


This is a re-post from September 21, 2012 
with some changes in the original text.
                                     
"Qui aurait dit il y a 130 ans que La Tour Eiffel deviendrait le symbole de Paris?  
130 ans et pas une ride!" (Site: Paris à Sortir)

 

Paintings by Maurice Utrillo and Raoul Dufy.

From Chez Toi en France, a bilingual children's book.

 
 Delauney was obsessed by La Tour Eiffel, painting at least 30 versions. 
He appreciated it as a radio tower & symbol for global communication 
as well as for its beautiful design.
This book is in a series on arrondissements of Paris. 
Gorgeous watercolors are by René Oghia.


 
ABC de Paris: Découvrir la capitale est un jeu d'enfant           
by Raphaëlle Aubert
Minou, a children's book in English, illustrated by Itoko Maeno. 
Features many Parisian landmarks.
 9 images in the Paris Calendar by Cavallini & Co. 
feature the Eiffel. 

When I first went to Paris it seemed like a cliché, 
& I almost didnt visit it. 
But was thrilling. 
Far more original, complex , & magificent than I had imagined!

10 comments:

  1. Monique, the little French passages were for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, love the sketches of the Eiffel Tower. Lovely post and images. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this so much, such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MARVELOUS!! I really enjoy your blog and your work. Sure wish I lived closer - I'd love to sketch with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember going up the elevator that tipped sideways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Tower. I love its lines, its grace, its stature. And I adore your watercolor. You remind me of something that is not in my wheelhouse and should be -- the importance of not over-detailing things. By having those buildings not over-detailed, the tower really stands out, becomes the focal point. I love it.

    I wonder if those books are still in print or available. I could get into trouble buying too many!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful post--I'm going to look for some of those books. I love the illustrations, and, of course, Paris is now dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect tribute to the Tower's birthday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have that book by Renee Oghia! Got it on a trip to Provence. There are others, very similar in style by a Lizzie Napoli....check her out on French Amazon books! I love your style and wish YOU were giving a workshop. I used to live in NE, and traveled around the ME coast to lots of places you mention. I kept expecting to see a sketch of Red's Eats along Rte 1!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!