Saturday, June 30, 2012

Delicious Color Charts

 
Color charts are often used as a means to an end. A way to get to know paints & how they mix with one another. A way to develop a color vocabulary or a palette for a painting. But they are gorgeous in their own right.  

There was a time when I made impulsive purchases, not knowing that it was the color that I needed rather than the objects. When I realized that, & when acquiring things was no longer a part of my lifestyle, playing with color 
became the way to satisfy my craving.
  One of the first published artist's sketchbooks I ever saw was that of Sara Midda. 
How imaginatively & sweetly she plays with color, as well as creating a beautiful diary.
Midda's color charts.
What got me thinking about all this color was the Quiller Color Wheel that was introduced in my art group. It can be used in a very  technical way. I was never big on science, but for my 7th grade science project I made a huge oil on canvas color wheel. So now (a "few" years later) my challenge is to integrate some "scientific" & organized experimentation with my more spontaneous approach. Hmm...

3 comments:

  1. I love your color charts. I think they could be framed and hung on a wall to brighten a room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love color charts too, and yours are quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rita, thank you for stopping by at Polonica: Home Again. I am thrilled to have you. I've been reading Merisi's blog for a while now. It's one of my favourites. I am so glad to hear that you can read Polish and that through my blog I will be able to show you and tell you a bit about Poland. Perhaps you will visit one day?
    P.S. Mikolajek (Little Nicholas) was one of my daughter's favourite books when she was younger.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!