Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Personal Journal: Daily Pages


During my Experimental Sketchbook Class
I kept a special journal with art notes
& anything related that came up. 
{By the way, I did not pose the shot: 
My new wooden mannequin, (who I think has arthritis)
happened to be there when I was snapping the page.}
Recently I read through my previous personal daily journal.
During the early days of stay-at-home, 
I spent a fair amount of time embellishing my personal book 
with color, borders, paste-ins, & stickers. 
I wondered if it was somehow a waste of my time. 
Looking back I see that it wasn't.

While releasing nervous energy about 
the new, unknown situation we were in,
I was allowing myself to play with color, layout, & content.
I'm now enjoying the record that I have of those days.


Here I recorded some notes from a book for young people
about artistic process: Neil Gaiman's Art Matters.
I usually record these types of art notes in a separate book,
but I liked incorporating them into the "master journal."

Currently my daily pages are fairly unadorned. 
My art energy is going to several projects 
that will be offered for public viewing. 
But they have their own journal pages where I am
working out my journey to finished products.

13 comments:

  1. These are great! My own journals r far messier...but I throw whatever is going on in one journal....love to look back and see what my days were like....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin, mine used to be messy, but then I started learning about bullet journaling and realized I couldn't find things easily in my old journals...

      Delete
  2. I kind of like Monsieur Mannequin showing your art:)Treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui, Monsieur Mannaquin...Je l'aime bien, mais il ne bouge pas facilement, donc, il n'est pas un bon modèle...

      Delete
  3. I love what you have done with this, Rita, and yes, going back after a time makes you realize the benefits of all done before. I've felt the same on the covid journal I'm doing. And I love your colors and the words you found in Gaiman and others. Thanks for visiting me! Your words always mean a lot and I really appreciate the depth you put into your most recent comment. That meant a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, thanks for reading here! I look forward to seeing more of your Covid Journal.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rita -- I want to answer your wonderful comment on my blog with something more than I want to put in comments on yours! If you could send your email address or contact info to jeanie@wkar.org, I'd be most grateful! You asked some questions I'd love to answer! Cheers and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love the mannequin even if he was not intentionally posed that way!! Your journals are so organized and lovely and joyful as is your art....always a feast for the eyes!! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I have been learning the organization part from all the Bullet Journalers online...Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Rita bless you for sharing some of those lovely pages from your art journal. As for the mannequin having arthritis - it looks like he is getting ready to dance. :)! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have u tried the New Blogger?
    Terrifying 😳

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a master journal-er; your journals are such works of art. Also, coincidentally, on Facebook today, a pop-up from 9 years ago appeared and in it was one of these wooden mannequins on my desk. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love your daily art journal pages. I started the year doing daily pages, and have completely fallen off the art journaling bandwagon. July and August (so far) are "lost months"! But I won't give up, and I will get back to it, especially after enjoying your recent posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!