Thursday, September 10, 2020

Visit to a Sketcher's Garden


I hadn't gone sketching with the group in awhile.

We visited a member's country/woods garden.
The first image was a warm up, a rather chaotic response to 
a beautiful tangle of ferns and foresty plants
and an array of vivid colors in late afternoon sun.

Then, a more tame vignette, which is actually 
a sketch from a sketch using my photo as reference,
once back home.
The observer's eye, brain, & hand, 
like the body, gets out of shape without practice
and I felt it. 
Motto for the day:
Make sketching more of a priority because
I love the whole experience!

(To "Unknown" who asked permission to download 
some of my paintings for her studies: 
I appreciate that you asked.

I would ask that you not to do it. 
I feel vulnerable about my sketches being
on someone else's computer, & used, 
without me explaining my process & teaching.

Also, since I do sell paintings, it's awkward to 
have them be used, even though I know that's a risk
of posting them on the Internet.

And, I always encourage students to not get 
too tied in to some one else's work, but to experiment,
study techniques, watch demonstrations,
& let your own voice, experience, practice 
& responses develop.)

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful, your post here reminds me how important sketching outdoors is. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind and thoughtful answer. I'm learning it's really important to ask permission. I'll continue to enjoy your art online. I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both your studies. The free grace of them. I'm never really comfy sketching outdoors but you remind me I should. Indeed, when I let art go by for too long, I feel like I take many steps back.

    Yes, that's how I feel about images and developing a style. It's one thing to practice but you have to find your own somewhere along the way. Still, inspiration is needed and you certainly inspire all of us. I really loved your kind and thoughtful answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rita,
    I’m on a new ipad and in a mean learning curve..pls email me. Cant find yr email...I will be using Legacy and this looks fine so maybe u figured it out? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Yr watercolors are lovely! They seem pretty low res so no one could print them out decently in my opinion..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you are still posting!! Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific sketches and as always --- I agree with your response to the other sketcher .... I've found my images on other sites and it's hurtful and truly is stealing ... publishing something done from someone else's artwork, photography IS stealing when published using someone else's name on the works ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ,
    I really enjoy your sketches. I am trying to learn blogspot for my own art postings. I noticed that your site is marked "not secure". When I had a godaddy art website, I had to buy an $80 SSL certificate, but I don't think we have to do that here.
    Here is an instruction from Google.
    Turn on HTTPS for your blog
    If you want visitors to access your blog over HTTPS, you can turn on HTTPS and HTTPS redirect.

    There are three main benefits to using HTTPS instead of HTTP to access your blog:

    It helps check that your visitors open the correct website and aren’t being redirected to a malicious site.
    It helps detect if an attacker tries to change any data sent from Blogger to the visitor.
    It adds security measures that make it harder for other people to listen to your visitors’ conversations, track their activities, or steal their information.
    Important: If you use CAA Records on your custom domain, add a record for letsencrypt.org, or Blogger won't create or renew your SSL certificate.

    To turn on HTTPS for your custom domain blog:

    Sign in to Blogger.
    In the top left, click the Down arrow Down arrow.
    Select the blog to update.
    In the left menu, click Settings and then Basic.
    On the right, under "HTTPS" and "HTTPS Availability," select Yes.
    Note: If you don't use a custom domain for your blog, HTTPS is automatically turned on for your blog and the HTTPS setting is hidden.

    I don't know if all of this will work in every case, but SSL is a good thing for most people.
    thanks,
    william

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh...I haven't sketched at all, alone or with a group, for a couple of months, after a good start at the beginning of the year. Must get back into the habit, because it is enjoyable, once I get started.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!