Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Going to the Fair...But Not This Year

 This post is an excerpt of an essay I wrote for a local newsletter.

La Table de Nana, 

who can’t make her annual pilgrimage to her

beloved Provence this fall, 

is sharing photos & memories of her past trips.

Do visit her blog!


The Common Ground Country Fair is my annual fall pilgrimage. 

I write about it here each September.


The Fair was cancelled due to Covid.


Each year I go to join in the 

celebration of harvest season, 

of community & cooperative sharing, 

of living in harmony with nature, 

of caring for the the earth & for one another.  

All with joy, artistry, respect, &, well... Love. 


Good things to have in these times. 

I go to rejoice in the midst of 

September’s vivid color, light & energy, 

before the gray of winter sets in. 

  

So many of us fairgoers, farmers, gardeners &

 participants of all ages felt the loss. 





I enjoyed going through old photos & journal entries. 

A reminder of one of the reasons I keep journals.

Over the years my small sketchbook journal 

has been my steady companion at the Fair.


One time the Popcorn Lady popped over

to watch me sketching her Popcorn House!

That gave me the chance to tell her how much I loved it

& to learn more about its creation!



Sketching to live, homegrown music, 

one of my favorite, favorite ways to sketch!!



This year I am adapting. Though sad, I've still been able to find

 September Joy in some beautiful local gardens.



I hope that by next year at this time 
our pilgrimages, 
our active community lives & celebrations,
and our good health will be back.

11 comments:

  1. You are a very talented person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am fine re travel Rita..we were not retuning to Provence.Je crois que les voyages Européens sont terminés pour nous..non seulement ....cause de Covid..
    Love this full post!
    So to add a link.. go to Blogger and right next to adding a photo..to the left is a simili paper clip but not..click on it..first line you would put say..Latabledenana..(Just saying lol) second line you paste the web browser address you copied and paste..DONE:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog and thanks for the sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice "virtual visit" to the CG fair!! Lovely photos and sketches as always...uplifting post on this gloomy rainy day!! Thankyou for sharing your art...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH I LOVE THESe!! Absolutely charming and wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is both a glorious and yes, a melancholy post. What a grand event that is and I know it will come back strong because it certainly looks as though everyone loves it dearly. Those butterfly wing children made me smile big. I love your sketch of the popcorn house and the real thing and your music performance schedules are wonderful. Yes, we're all missing things that aren't happening, aren't we? I'm hopeful some of those will return, though I'm not so sure about travel for awhile. Meanwhile, I can visit wonderful spots through your blog and art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita what a delight to glimpse not only your lovely photos of the fair but your beautiful sketches. Yes dear friend I am so hoping that all those things we love to do at this time of the year will be back with us next year. I too am missing our own favorite festival that we enjoy in October. Still like you I am getting out in nature and savoring all the wonderful gifts that grow in the woods and meadows at this time. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs! P.S. - Glad to see you are still blogging - I sure would miss your posts and you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a little bit in mourning that we are still unable to safely enjoy many of our everyday adventures. But I am trying to use my creativity and positive attitude to find new outlets--your post was inspirational for that. Love your darling sketches, and yes, that's one great reason to keep a sketchbook...all the happy memories bound up in those pages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luv that you continue to seek (and share) the beauty and the joy. .. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!