Thursday, October 22, 2020

Going Outdoors with The Sketchers

The Sketchers meet once a week, always
in beautiful places that are not far from our homes.
When I resumed going, over a month ago, 
drawing felt new all over again.
I had the tendency to try to record too much. 
After all, so I was seeing so many wonderful details!
This on location sketch got re-worked as I realized my eye 
had not seen certain things correctly. 
It would have been an ideal oil painting.
Sometimes, with watercolor, I miss being able 
to make lots of revisions.
The top sketch was a 2nd version,
using the original sketch, plus a photo.
I like both for different reasons. 
I'm finally coming around to making quick value studies
before jumping into color. How seductive color is though!
Lucy Willis' book, Light: How to See It, How to Paint It
has had a big influence on me recently. 
I used to own it, but gave it away.
Apparently I wasn't ready at the time.
We had an excursion to our local,
rather historic cemetery. Some challenges in perspective here.

On another excursion I stood on the end of a long wharf
at a harbor of a neighboring town.
As I sketched, the tide moved in.
Light, shadows & reflections grew more pronounced.
A lobster boat or 2 came in to shore. The slow rhythm 
& unhurried atmosphere calmed me.

No matter what the art lessons or technical challenges,
I Iove the peace I experience while sketching outdoors.

7 comments:

  1. So beautiful...LOVE the fall feel of all of these❤❤❤❤ yes covid has affected our travels...no museum visits...no eating out...limited social interactions...but we are able to visit the parks, hike, enjoy nature and still stay to ourselves...our rv acts as our cocoon...where we can isolate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff as usual Rita. Good to see a blog post from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all lovely, as usual, but I LOVE the Grive Cemetery ones and especially the black & white study!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita - so enjoy seeing your beautiful sketches. Really understand your thoughts on light - my biggest struggle is getting values correct...especially in watercolor. This time of the year when fall's colors overwhelm me I find myself even more at a loss for capturing the scene well. So glad you are enjoying being out and sketching again. I find such tranquility in just sitting and drawing in pencil or ink trees. One can get lost for hours following those limbs and branches. Well stay safe and have a blessed weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly don't know which of these I love most. Maybe the harbor scene because I'm such a sucker for anything with water and shore scenes. But those trees are wonderful and your initial sketch blew me away too. There is such freedom and joy in your work -- it's filled with life. Even the cemetery is filled (ironically) with life. Energy. Definitely energy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your style, Rita. And that last sketch in particular radiates peace. I want to come back to Maine...such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to tell you, I keep returning to your journal pages over and over and over; they are such a delight -- bring a smile and cheer me in these crazy times -- please keep posting !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!