Thursday, March 19, 2020

Home-Time in My Small Town



Since retirement, my home-time is very pleasurable. 
I have "stations" around the house for:
Painting • Drawing • Zumba & Exercise
Special Projects • Writing • Reading.
I am grateful for a working kitchen.

This is one time where being an Introvert comes in handy.

My life is less disrupted than are many others' lives.
In my small town the changes don't seem drastic to me,
 even though we do run out of toilet paper. 
We are lucky that we can afford to be calm & accepting.

We walk outdoors, & passersby are pleasant.
We are still a town of Hello's & waving to strangers. 
Yesterday as I was walking the Harbor Walk,
 a woman on a bench called out to me:

"We can still do this!" & she did a thumbs up,
& I replied "Yes, we are lucky!" 
and raised my thumbs to her.
 Kathy at the blog Catching Happiness 
(click Here
has a post about "Staying Positive..."
She mentions "Stress Cleaning."
I've been enjoying "Stress Organizing," like
taking inventory of my colored pencils. 
At some point I will do a phone order/roadside pick up 
at Fiddleheads,
my local art shop, which is closed...
Temporarily.
 Oooh, order & labels for my fountain pen inks!
(the small ones are samples I get from Goulet Pens.)
 Writing in my journal remains a daily pleasure.
On this day I was listening to France Bleu radio
& decided to create a sort of dictation & to search words
in the dictionary (Reverso online).
I just started a new Rhodia daily journal.
A new Lamy "Turmaline" fountain pen arrived from Goulet 
just before things shut down. 
Goulet is a small business with heart, 
that is paying its employees during this time. 

Voilà. 
Nice to reinforce good feelings via online networks 
in a time of physical isolation. 

How are you occupying your time 
in your "confinement" and "sheltering."?

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of stress organizing! I'm stress downsizing. Love all you shared. I do think in small towns there is often a different feel. So far, the Great Confinement hasn't been all that much out of my normal world, apart from my hair roots getting more gray by the day and missing the hugs and kisses of Rick. We keep our social distance! But the rest of life is pretty similar, though without the drop in or lunch out with friends. I am better equipped to handle this than some, I know. I've been doing a better job of writing in my journal, though, and actually speaking with people on the phone. That's good. I do feel somewhat helpless that I can't pop in the car and go help my cousin in Ohio having serious surgery tomorrow, but we will keep in touch.

    I have those Grumbachers. Isn't that springy green fabulous? I bought the palette for that color! Thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy a Sketchbook visit . . .
    I am raking sticks, reading books, creating clay shamrocks,
    eating chocolate covered peanuts, hanging sheets out to dry,
    walking in spring air, washing hands, abiding by social distancing,
    creating in the kitchen.
    Be safe, be well, be hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice calming post, but I miss your charming sketches!! I try to go for a walk each day..SPRING is coming ...later tonight as a matter of fact..HOORAY!!!!!
    I am lucky I get to walk a dog in a lovely spot each morning ..It has been chilly but there is something special about seeing the world through a dog's enthusiasm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The isolation doesn't bother me-I need lots of alone time. To de-stress I always hold my goose, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me, too, as an introvert used to working for home, I am not as unsettled as some. And yes, me, too, the organizing (drawers, files, pens and pencils). And yes, our small town is much like yours. Beaming you continued calm and good health-- xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too live in a small town, and like you, supplies are limited, but we can still walk around (keep our distance of course), welcome the beauty of spring, and try to be calm. LOVE your pens and journal ... I too keep a daily morning journal - nothing as pretty as yours .. but that writing first thing in the morning helps get the anxiety on the page and off my mind ...I don't see myself as an introvert, but since I live a fair distance from my family members and friends, the restrictions on travel haven't bothered me -- yet ...Take care -- be safe ... hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not much has changed in my life. I am walking more. Back to 2.5 miles a day other than than and not seeing anyone. It's the same. I am following "suggestions" from our state government

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love organizing:) Shopping from the US is on hold for me.Our dollar has sunk yet again..add in duty shipping and it's nonense.
    Un non..sens:)
    I do have a pen from Goulet that I bought in better times..and like it a lot..all their products are lovely.
    I see your Grumbacher paints? Mine are opaque and I hate them..lol strong word n'est-ce-pas?
    I am in a small town of hellos also.
    Some grocery stores are installing plexi glass between cashiers and customers.
    On Instagram so many people are sharing art classes..etc..♥
    I am used to being home..the weirdness is not being close to our children..yet close.
    So many people to be grateful for..so many!


    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of your stations at home. Filling your life with all these simple pleasures has got to be good for you. I'm hopeful we can use this downtime to reorganize and come out stronger on the other side. Of course, so far no one close to me has this virus, so it's easier for me to say that.

    And thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rita - your post makes me want to come visit...love the idea of stations in your home. Your hometown sounds a lot like ours. I cleaned and organized my water color pencils and cleaned an art drawer the other day...it helps to keep busy and for a little while we forget that life is scary. Keep safe and well. Sending you a blogging hug!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PLEASE to the person who runs this wonderful blog, where can I get the holistic stickers in round circles you have on the Rhoda book? Please help me with a name or a place where I can buy some. I am in love with them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!