Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Sketching: A Pause From Stress



7AM crowded grocery shopping 
once again triggered anxiety. 
An unhealthy looking man, 
coughing & sneezing, no mask,
lingering in the aisles. 
Scared me. 
I talked to our pleasant manager, 
but once home, tension lingered.

So I gathered my art bag
and headed to a bench in City Park.
Highlights on lively small waves,
like 4th of July sparklers, 
sun & breeze. 
View of Penobscot Bay to Blue Hill  
and the distant mountains of Acadia.

It didn't completely take away my stress, 
but for some brief moments
I breathed in healthy air. 
And sketched.

6 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful watercolor. From what I have read, I understand that a few seconds near someone while shopping isn't a problem. It's prolonged closeness that's a problem. In NY, it's only a suggestion that people wear masks, which I think is plain stupid. I hope your time painting has settled you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw an article about how to talk to people not wearing masks. Will try to send.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so understand that stress. I would be panicking then and probably still now. You'll probably be fine and that's what I'm going to think. I'm so glad you found a good way to get lost in your painting and the beautiful day and that it helped alleviate some of the stress. It's a lovely painting -- I can feel the warmth and breeze. I hope you can have a relaxing evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hon! I too find folks sans masks, especially at the grocery store -- and with kids in tow, a really scary time, and to think of this fellow coughing -- mercy --- Please please stay safe and well ... Love the beach scene especially your rocks -- !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rita you found the perfect cure for your stress...sketching. What a beautiful one too. For me when I am stresses I usually go out for a long walk with the dogs. It helps me feel calmer-maybe now that the weather has warmed perhaps I will take my sketchbook along too. I will take that good tip from you dear friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great way to destress--fresh air and sketching. Being in the moment. I wish I was there with you sketching--at least six feet away, of course :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!