Wednesday, December 8, 2021

More Card Making Process


I have fiber artist friends
who experiment wildly with mark-making, 
 media & formats. 
I love their work 
& love learning from them, trying some of their techniques.
But in the end, I come back to drawing
&  "coloring" (Gasp!!) as my favorite mode.
These days I use watercolors & Prismacolors, 
but I'm still connected to the childhood pleasure 
I had with Crayola crayons.

I pulled an image from an older journal sketch for
December greeting cards.

In the end, what I love most is 
that I be authentically expressing myself
& finding pleasure in my process,
ignoring that old inner critic.

Recently I did a jigsaw puzzle of an illustration
by my favorite illustrator, the French Sempé.
 I found great joy in learning more about how he uses
ink line & paint & felt affirmed in my way of working.

I am fascinated by grids & boxes lately. 
In the end, my idea for Christmas cards, 
(in the above photo)
evolved to these trees without the boxes.





 

10 comments:

  1. I love these more than I can say! Your style just makes me happy -- it's so free and fun and at no time is is better or more happy than Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    I loved the boxes.
    Nice variety of patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love the smell of crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that's why I like waterbrushes so much--it feels like coloring! The trees are adorable. Hope you enjoy this festive season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still new at waterbrushes, Kathy, and tend to go for the old fashioned brush with a container of water.

      Delete
  5. I love the playfulness of the design. Very nice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me!